COVID-19 and border restrictions

Movement restrictions remain in place between some states and territories.

If you need to travel to NSW, apply for a permit through Service NSW or call 13 77 88 (24/7).

If you are seeking an exemption to travel, you must be able to prove that your reason to travel is approved for that border and be able to provide evidence at any time during your travel. Vehicle checkpoints and random checks are in place where there are border restrictions. Checking officers in these jurisdictions have discretionary authority and penalties may apply.

Movement restrictions can evolve quickly and information will continue to be updated. Please take steps to keep yourself informed of the most up-to-date information about what you can do in NSW.

Where cross border travel is permitted, you should continue to practise physical distancing and good handwashing hygiene. If you have even the mildest symptoms, you should stay at home.

All states and territories have committed to providing services and freight operations and maintain cross-border travel for workers delivering essential goods and services. Full details of eligibility to travel and exemptions can be found here.

This page provides information and relevant links for people who need to cross the border, or residents of cross-border communities.

See the state border summaries below for current restrictions and exemptions.

Border status

New South Wales

The advice below aligns with the Public Health (COVID-19 Border Control) Order 2020, and it relates to people who have been in Victoria during the previous 14 days or people who live in the border zone. The Order commenced at the beginning of 8 July 2020, with amendments on 20 July 2020 and 22 July 2020.

Border status:

  • The NSW border is currently closed to people entering from Victoria and this restriction has been in place since midnight 7 July.
  • All NSW residents are strongly urged not to travel to Victoria. NSW residents who travel beyond the border zone into Victoria must self-isolate when they return to NSW for 14 days. Fines apply.
  • A new border zone came into place at midnight Tuesday 21 July as a result of the revised Public Health Order.
    • NOTE:  All permits issues before midnight Tuesday 21 July have expired.
    • To travel after 21 July, all permits must be resubmitted for approval before travelling.

Can I travel?:

  • Check your eligibility to cross the border by visiting Service NSW.
  • People working in critical services are permitted to travel:
    • movement of freight on a commercial basis
    • movement of persons on a commercial basis
    • maintenance and repair of critical infrastructure
    • medical, hospital, dental or veterinary care
    • Commonwealth defence and security services
    • mining, agriculture, construction, energy or manufacturing
    • environmental cleaning and disinfection in a workplace or other non-residential premises to prevent the spread of COVID-19 on a commercial basis that is not available locally.
  • Border zone residents can apply for a permit for the following activities across the border:
    • Go to a workplace if work cannot be done at home
    • Go to school or other education facility if that study cannot be done at home
    • Go to a medical appointment, buy medical supplies or attend another health services in Victoria if that service or product is not reasonably available in NSW.  If telehealth is a possible alternative, it should be used instead of travel.
  • To check if your address falls within the “border zone”, search for your location here.

Before travelling:

  • Check if your reason to travel is included on the exemption list
  • Read the instructions carefully and apply for the required permits before travel.
  • It is your responsibility to provide evidence for your trip and carry the relevant permit with you at all time during the time across the border.
  • A guide is available to answer your questions.
  • NSW Health regularly update their fact sheets for people affected by COVID-19.  Visit their site or the latest advice for NSW and Victorian border residents.
  • Apply for the relevant permit for the days you will be travelling through Service NSW or call 13 77 88 (24/7).

Travelling safely:

  • You should not travel if you are unwell.
  • The advice remains that travel across the border would be for unavoidable purposes only to restrict the spread of COVID-19.
  • Anyone crossing the border must attend their destination by the most direct route. The permits do not allow for additional stops for any reason.
  • Be aware of the latest on what you can and can’t do in NSW.

Australian Capital Territory

  • Detailed advice is available at and ACT Public Health Directions provide advice on what you can and can’t do in the ACT.
  • If you have questions or need help while being quarantined at home, you can contact the ACT COVID-19 Helpline on (02) 6207 7244 between 8am and 8pm daily, or contact the National COVID-19 Helpline on 1800 020 080 (this line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

Northern Territory

  • If you intend to travel to the NT from an identified coronavirus hotspot you are strongly urged to reconsider your plans; likewise, if you a Territorian intending to travel to a hotspot you are advised not to.
  • Call 1800 518 189 from 7am to 7pm, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm, Sat and Sun.


  • Detailed advice on travel into Queensland is available here.
  • Advice on what you can and can’t do in respect of public gatherings and home visits in Queensland is available at the new Home Confinement, Movement and Gatherings Direction.
  • For further information, contact the QLD Government via email or phone within Australia: 13 QGOV (13 74 68). International callers: +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC), or the National COVID-19 Helpline on 1800 020 080 (this line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

South Australia

  • SA Government Advice is available at or call the South Australian COVID-19 Information Line 1800 253 787.
  • You can find out more about restrictions and responsibilities in South Australia here.
  • The SA COVID-19 Information Line – 1800 253 787 – offers local information and advice on general COVID-19 information for South Australians (9:00 am to 5:00 pm every day) or the National COVID-19 Helpline on 1800 020 080 (this line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).


  • Border restrictions and detailed travel advice is available at
  • All visitors must complete a Tasmanian Arrivals Form, which can be completed online prior to arrival or upon arrival at terminals in Tasmania.
  • Apply as an Essential Traveller on compassionate or medical grounds, if work is identified as essential, or for other reasons considered on individual merit.
  • For border enquiries call 1300 292 292
  • Tasmanian COVID-19 advice at which includes advice on Tasmanian restrictions on gatherings and travel.
  • For non-urgent health advice contact the Tasmanian Public Health Hotline – 1800 671 738 – or the National COVID-19 Helpline on 1800 020 080 (this line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).


Western Australia

  • Exemptions will be granted in limited circumstances. The quickest and simplest way to apply for an exemption is via the G2G PASS online form.
  • Advice on Coronavirus restrictions within Western Australia is available here or call 13 26843.
  • For non-urgent health advice contact the Coronavirus information hotline (open 24 hours a day, seven days a week) –1800 675 398– or the National COVID-19 Helpline on 1800 020 080 (this line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

We are here to help

  • If you have serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing, chest pain or a severe fever, call triple zero (000).
  • Our experienced Service NSW staff can help you with question about COVID-19 and NSW border permits.  To speak to a representative from Service NSW, please call 13 77 88, which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Visit ( for more information on COVID-19 and how to manage any symptoms, protect your business, quarantine requirements and border restrictions.
  • Stay up to date on the latest advice and restrictions on gatherings, workplaces and events at (
  • Call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 for queries about symptoms. Staff are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Advice for Australians overseas: DFAT’s Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 from Australia or +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas. For non-urgent inquiries, email