New Frontiers Cooperative Drilling
This program is managed by the Geological Survey of NSW and is part of the NSW Mineral Strategy commitment to promote investment in NSW. The New Frontiers Cooperative Drilling program provides grants to successful applicants for exploration drilling programs (Group 1, 6 and 10 minerals only) that demonstrate strong prospectivity, sound financial planning and a proven technical base.
The program supports the long-term sustainability of the NSW resources sector by:
- supporting mineral exploration and discovery in NSW that will ultimately ensure a sustainable economic resource pipeline for the state
- encouraging exploration activity in greenfields areas that will test new geological ideas and models and/or exploration in regions covered by significant cover
- improving our understanding of the state's mineral resource potential, in order to fully realise the economic resource potential of the state
From 2014 to 2021, the program delivered three rounds of grants that funded 50 per cent, 75 per cent, or 100 per cent of drilling metre-rate costs dependence on the round, for individual projects, with a maximum of $200,000 awarded per project.
New Frontiers Cooperative Drilling round four announced
The NSW Deputy Premier has announced a further $2.2 million in grants for exploration projects across the state as part of the fourth round of the program.
The grants reimburse successful explorers for 50 per cent of per metre drilling costs, up to a maximum of $200,000.
Including the announcement of round four, the total program value since 2014 now stands at $8.4 million.
Round four now open
Round Four of the program is now open.
Applications for Round Four will be open until 14 September 2021. Successful applicants will be notified in October 2021.
note: The original end date of 31 August 2021 has been extended to provide additional time given to the current COVID situation.
Submitting an application
- Read the guidelines to find out more about the process
- Download and fill out the application form
- Submit the completed form by 5pm 14 September 2021 by email to
To express interest in participating in the Cooperative Drilling Round 4 Assessment panel:
For further information
Contact us about New Frontiers Cooperative Drilling